Top 5 SPS Corals
- Oregon Blue Tort – The blue color of a \”true\” Oregon Blue Tort is so vivid it makes you wonder whether it was injected with an artificial blue pigment. Mother nature has blessed this coral and thus it is much sought after by SPS collectors. It tops my list.
- Tyree Purple Monster – The Purple Monster is an extremely SLOWWWWWWW grower and is a very demanding coral to keep. It typically has white polyps with very dense and thick branches. The Purple Monster is one of those original old school corals and today it can be hard to come by. It’s a must have for me due to its intense deep purple coloration. I love this coral so much I could rank it as my #1.
- ORA Pearlberry – This coral has purplish tips, greenish corallites and a gorgeous pearlescent coloration on the branches. The larger pieces I had in my old 225 gallon tank just seemed to glow, emitting new colors every time I looked at them.
- Tyree Icefire Echinata – This one is up there in terms of being a must have for many SPS enthusiasts. What’s not to like? It has bright blue tips that contrast beautifully with cream-colored branches.
- Unique Corals Original Strawberry Shortcake – This coral was introduced to US reef keepers by Unique Corals back in 2009 at MACNA. Among all of the Shortcakes out there today, this is one of the most striking, with a greenish body and bright pink tips and polyps.
So there you have it, my Top 5 SPS corals.
If you would like some help with a new tank build, including help designing a custom aquarium, or help re-configuring your current setup then you can visit this page for more information. And if you are looking to add some equipment, I do sell GHL, Pax Bellum, Reef Octopus Calcium and Kalk Reactors and Royal Exclusiv products, including Dreamboxes, which is the equipment I use and recommend. I also sell Reef Brite metal halide and LED fixtures as well as Maxspect & IceCap Gyres.
As for additional insights and information, please explore my many other reef tank and SPS related articles as well as my YouTube channel. For an even deeper dive into reef tank care you can check out my Reef Keeping Master Class. This online course is an immersive and one of a kind educational tool designed to help reef aquarium hobbyists build and maintain a beautiful SPS reef tank. The course is a series of video presentations with some supplemental video from my YouTube channel. There are also quizzes to help students retain and understand the information presented in the course.
Need some frags…..I can help with that as well 🙂 Please visit my SPS Frag store to see what is available.