Footprint: 5.5″ x 5.5″ | Body Diameter: 4″ | Height: 27.6″
Requires control timer and feed pump
Gently mixes your calcium hydroxide
Reef Octopus Kalk Stirrer (Nilsen Reactor) carries a high torque low RPM motor that effectively, silently and gently mixes your calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser). This method is not only ideal but is also the safest way of dosing the freshest possible kalkwasser to your reef system. The Reef Octopus Kalk Stirrer is designed to keep the undissolved particles at the bottom of the reactor chamber while always leaving the clear highly saturated kalkwasser liquid at the top. Adding kalk powder couldn’t be easier with just a few twists of the large thumb screws releasing the seal-tight lid for quick and easy kalk refills.
No need for pesky Powerheads
No need for pesky powerheads that randomly need to be cleaned or replace and no more risky dosing with large vats of lime water which take up valuable space. You will never have to worry about premixing or clogs again when using our new innovative and efficient Kalk Stirrer (Nilsen Reactor) which are extremely easy to use and salt-water safe, making them simply the most economical and best kalk reactor out there.
*The Kalk Stirrer uses a 20watt motor that has a lifetime of about 1500 hours. Please don’t run unit continuously.
– Kalk Stirrer Body with Stirrer Pump
– Quick Connect Input and Output: 1/4″
– Water Feed Pump that will deliver water through the reactor
– RO Tubing
Warranty –1 year warranty on reactor body
- Place the reactor in a location where the outlet is higher than the sump. The quick connect outlet is where the kalkwasser will drip from and typically hung over the sump in a high flow area away from any pumps. The output must flow downhill to the sump area.
- Connect the feed pump from your top off container to the Kalkwasser reactor with 1/4 RO tubing. Peristaltic pumps are preferred due to the high level of accuracy and anti siphon characteristics. (If you are using a peristaltic pump then skip to step #4)
- If you are using a feed pump like Tom’s Aqualifter then the input tubing should be placed in your reservoir with RO/DI water. Connect the outlet of the pump to a short piece of 1/4″ tubing and install a tee fitting with one end securely mounted several feet above the water level of your top off reservoir and the other going to the reactor. The tee is placed in the line to create a siphon break. You may also use a small pump such as a maxijet modded with a fitting on the output to feed water to the reactor. You will have to use a check valve in the line to prevent any back siphoning into your reservoir.
- The Kalkwasser reactor should be filled 2/3 of the way with RO/DI water.
- Add enough kalk powder to fill the reactor with approximately 3⁄4 – 1cup of kalkwasser. The idea is that the twin blades create a slow motion that gently disturbs the kalk in to solution. (Too much kalk will place stress on the motor and can cause pre-mature failure) Allow the solution to settle for 15 minutes prior to turning the reactor on. Now you are ready to plug the reactor’s transformer into a power source and begin to dose saturated Kalkwasser to your aquarium. The stirrer should be set on a controller to run ever 2 hours for approximately 10-15 minutes. Do not run these units 24/7.